Beaverr Holt Sternlicht & Courie, P.A.
Beaver Holt Sternlicht & Courie, PA provides aggressive and effective representation for federal and state felonies and misdemeanor charges in jurisdictions throughout North Carolina. Since attorney H. Gerald Beaver founded our firm in 1978, we have helped thousands of residents and members of the military fight for the best possible outcome for their criminal offenses. Our attorneys understand the federal and state criminal justice systems and how prosecutors develop their cases. Our firm is recognized by satisfied clients and legal professionals for our compassionate and comprehensive approach to criminal defense. Our philosophy is that our clients need and deserve clear answers, quick responses and an honest assessment of how their case is likely progress. You can't make decisions about your future and your freedom if you don't have a strong understanding of what the outcome may be.
Please Call: 910-323-4600
We provide criminal defense representation for a full range of federal and state criminal offenses:
We provide serious criminal defense help for serious problems
Please Call: 910-323-4600
H Gerald Beaver
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Jerry Beaver is one of North Carolina's best known and well-respected trial attorneys. He came to Fayetteville in 1973 from UNC law school and began work as an Assistant Public Defender. In 1979 he hung a shingle and soon after was joined by Tom Holt, thus forming the nucleus of the Beaver Holt Law Offices.
During his thirty-five years of practice Jerry has achieved many honors and distinctions. He has been listed in "Best Lawyers in America" for more than a decade and as one of North Carolina's Legal Elite by North Carolina Business Magazine since the inception of the directory. Since 2003, he has been selected for recognition in the publication North Carolina Super Lawyers, a listing of lawyers made up of 5% of North Carolina lawyers chosen through a rigorous process of polling, peer review and12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement and, in 2008, was listed in the top 100 North Carolina Lawyers who received the highest point totals in the magazine's nomination, research and blue ribbon review process. In October 2008, Jerry was inducted as a fellow of Litigation Counsel of American, an honorary association of lawyers selected from among only 3% of the national lawyers. He is listed in the National Directory of Criminal Defense Lawyers and has been listed as an AV lawyer by Martindale Hubble Legal Directory for almost twenty years.
Jerry is a member of the American Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the American Association for Justice, the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, as well as other state and local bar groups. From 1992-2000 he served as a Counselor to the North Carolina State Bar, the governing body of all North Carolina lawyers. He is a frequent lecturer and author for seminars and periodicals produced by the American Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, and the North Carolina Bar Association
He is admitted to practice and has appeared before the United States Supreme Court, the Fourth Circuit United States Court of Appeals, the United States District Courts of the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina, and all divisions of the General Court of Justice for the State of North Carolina, including the North Carolina Supreme Court.
During his years of practice, Jerry has been involved in many of the region's most interesting and eventful criminal cases including representation of Robert Fulton Kelly in the notorious Little Rascals prosecution which resulted in the dismissal of more than 100 separate charges of child sexual abuse. Today, his criminal practice is largely concentrated in representation of clients charged with serious felony offenses in both State and Federal Court, including white-collar prosecutions, wire fraud, bank fraud, Medicaid and Medicare fraud, sexual offenses, drug charges, and crimes of violence. Over thirty-five years, Jerry has participated in hundreds of personal injury, premises liability and professional liability trials and settlements including his successful representation of Jackson Rock Pinckney, a Fort Bragg NC soldier against international film star Jean Claude Van Damme for personal injuries sustained during the filming of the motion picture Cyborg, a case featured on Court TV In the field of civil rights, he received the unanimous opinion of the United States Supreme Court in Graham v. Connor (1989), which established a nationwide standard for establishing 4th Amendment violations in police misconduct cases and also served as lead counsel in the precedent-setting Spell v. McDaniel (4th Cir., 1989), winning a $900,000 jury verdict in a police brutality action which, to this day, serves as a national standard for establishing municipal liability for police misconduct.
- Complex Federal Criminal-White Collar
- Complex State Criminal-White Collar
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Complex Business Litigation
- 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- North Carolina, 1973
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 1975
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 1975
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of North Carolina, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1975
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1973
- East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina
Major: Political Science/History
- Expert Testimony, From Fry to Daubert to Kumho and Beyond, The Implications of revised Rule702, The True Bill, NC Bar Association Criminal Division, Spring, 1002
- Effectively Dealing with Trial by Ambush. Combating Late Discovery in Criminal Cases, Trial Briefs, Journal of the NC Academy of Trial Lawyers, September, 2000
- Presumptive Testing for the Presence of Blood: Limiting the Glow of Misleading Expert Testimony, Trial Briefs, Journal of the NC Academy of Trial Lawyers, Spring, 1996
- Police Brutality: A Call to Arms, The Champion, Journal of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, July, 1991
- Expert Testimony: Four Criteria for Determining Admissibility, The Champion, Journal of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Jan/Feb, 1990
- Technicolor Trials, The Use of Gory Photographs in Homicide Prosecutions Champion, Journal of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Sept/Oct, 1988
- Graham v. Connor , 490 US 1 (USSC 1989)
- Spell v. McDaniel, 824 F2d 1380 (4th Cir USSC 1987)
- Pinckney v. Van Damme , 116 NC App. 139 (NCCA 1994)
- Upon Request
- Upon Request
- Elected Councillor, 12th Judicial District, NC State Bar, 1992-1995
- The Best Lawyers in America
- American Association for Justice, 1980 - Present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1983 - Present
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, 1980 - Present
- North Carolina State Bar, 1973 - Present
- Delta Theta Phi
Please Call: 910-323-4600